Christmas Sew-Along Project Number 5 - Library Book Bag
For today's project, we are going to make a padded book bag. It's the perfect size to fit in picture books for a child or a few hardcovers for the adult book lover. This makes a great gift on its own, or add your favourite book to personalize it more.
This project features whimsical seahorses and seaweed from the reef collection.
For those of you who bought the kit, all of your fabric and batting has already been cut out to size. You can choose which fabric to put on the outside. In this tutorial, we put the seahorses on the outside.
2 - 13" x 15" pieces of fabric for the outside of the bag
2- 13" x 15" pieces of fabric for the inside of the bag
2 - 13" x 15" pieces of batting
2 - 4" x 27" pieces of fabric for the straps
2 - 4" x 27" pieces of batting for the straps
- Place a piece of the 13"x15" batting down on a flat surface. Put the seahorse fabric on top of that, right side facing up. Follow that by the seahorse fabric facing down, then by the last piece of 13"x15" piece of batting.
- Pin together around the sides and bottom. Sew 1/4 inch seam. Make sure not to sew the top together.
- Place lining fabrics right side together. Pin. Sew 1/4 inch seam around the sides and bottom, again making sure not to sew the top.
- You now have the lining and the outside sewn together. Set aside.
- Place batting on the wrong side of the straps. Fold lengthwise so that right side of the fabric is on the inside and the batting is facing out. Pin.
- Sew up the long side, 1/4 inch seam. Leave the ends open. Repeat with the other fabric strap and batting.
- Turn each of the straps right side out. Now, I admit, this step is a pain and takes some time. Put on your favourite show and go at it. The padded straps do add a nice touch, but if you know you will have a hard time with this step, you can leave out the batting.
- Press the straps so that the seam is on the middle of the underside.
- Set aside the two straps.
- Turn the lining of the bag (the seaweed fabric) right side out. Press.
- Slide the lining inside of the outer part of the bag (batting and seahorse). Right sides of fabric will be facing together.
- Line up your straps on your bag so that the side with the seam on the straps is facing down. This is the position that the straps will be placed in the bag.
Place the straps in between the two layers, having the edge of the strap coming in 2" from the outer seam.
- Make sure the straps are between the seahorse and seaweed layers. Pin. Repeat with the strap on the other side of the bag.
- Sew 1/4 inch seam around the top of the bag, leaving a 3-4" opening. Turn the bag right side out through the opening.
- Press the opening together and top stitch around the edge making sure to sew the opening shut.
Congratulations, you now have a fabulous book bag! Add your favourite book and get ready to give out a great Christmas present. Anyone would be happy to receive this.
Leave a comment